On Tuesday, October 20, delegates to Classis British Columbia South-East were just finishing supper at Cornerstone Christian Reformed Church in Chilliwack when the fire alarm sounded
At first, delegates thought it was a way of calling everyone back to session. Cornerstone pastor Rev. Bill Veenstra said that was not the case.
Veenstra said the 80 to 90 people in building were all asked to leave. Neighbors had already seen the smoke and called the fire department. It soon became apparent that the fire had started in the Cadet club house. It appears to have been caused by a short in an exhaust fan.
About an hour later, everyone was allowed back in the building, but classis was adjourned for the evening and reconvened the following morning.
The damage was primarily caused by smoke and was limited to the Cadet room and two nurseries that will need new insulation and ceilings. Veenstra said he expects the repairs will take about two months. In the meantime, other rooms in the building will be used for nurseries.
Enjoyed this article?
Don’t miss this week’s must-read articles:
- Tell A Better Story
- ‘Rebirth’ for a Wisconsin Church
- Book review: A Church Called Tov, by Laura Barringer and Scot McKnight