The Banner's mobile app gives you real-time access to the latest news and articles. Browse a PDF of the latest issue...
The Banner home page
A common happening: a father and son go fishing. But in A Different Pond this simple activity is so much more.
Ken Medema has been writing and singing music for the church since the early 1970s, so Nothing Like the Rain, an album of new Medema songs, seems almost instantly recognizable.
- When I was a campus pastor, students often asked questions about the Bible’s trustworthiness or truthfulness. Most of the questions fall into three general types...
- This photo is a panorama of 21 images stitched together in Photoshop. I chose to include the oil rig to make the foreground more interesting.
My paternal grandfather was an egg and small-crop farmer. My maternal grandfather was an herbicide chemist who worked to promote...
- As a Christian, I feel called to live like Christ, which means to try to be good and kind, loving others as Christ has loved me. But as a white person, I am part of a larger history that is not good. Not kind. Not loving.
- Our children are at the age where they’re staying in the worship service instead of going to children’s worship. Much of the service, though, including sermons, is way over their heads. How can we help them stay engaged?
- Parkland, Florida. To those of us living in northern climes, the name might evoke images of winter warmth and sunshine. But not any more. Since the afternoon of February 14, Parkland has become the latest in a litany of communities scarred by school shootings.
- Author Jim Burns’ goal in writing Understanding Your Teen is to help parents raise kids “who love God and who will one day become responsible adults.”
- Moonee is 6 years old and lives in a cheap hotel in the Orlando area. But this is no Eloise-in-the-Plaza-Hotel fantasy; Moonee’s young single mother, Halley, is doing her best to feed her daughter and make sure they have shelter.
- Steven Timmermans, executive director of the Christian Reformed Church, joined more than 100 Christian faith leaders from across the United States in sending a letter to U.S. president Donald Trump and the United States Congress, urging them to protect vulnerable immigrants.
- Preaching and painting came together in a recent sermon series at Second Christian Reformed Church in Grand Haven, Mich.
- Last fall, Pastor Dave Vroege of All Nations CRC in Halifax, N.S., approached Disability Concerns to ask for help.
- I don’t recall the first time I heard this African proverb, but I often need its reminder.
- Remedy Drive’s new album, The North Star, is an uncomfortable listen, so chances are good you haven’t eagerly added it to your playlist.
- Based on a true story, this juvenile novel relates events in England in 1486.
- What’s gooey and slippery and oozes all over? If you guessed slime, you’re right!
- Panic surged through Wall Street in October of 1929. On October 24, stock prices plunged briefly before several large banks intervened and the market rallied.
I have never discipled anyone. How do I get started?
I understand your fear. Your church appears to be attracting unchurched...
- Paddington, the lovable bear from Peru, is back. Once again, he’s getting himself into a pickle.
- When author Joshua Jipp set out to examine what Scripture teaches about hospitality to strangers, a resounding theme emerged, namely, “God’s hospitality to us necessarily results in and creates hospitality to others.”
- Thanks to a newly installed community ice skating rink, Bethel Christian Reformed Church in Zeeland, Mich., is now a hot spot for cold-weather recreation.
- Seung Jai Kang, 80, was a dedicated and energetic pastor who lived his life in service to local ministries, church planting, and teaching...