Ocheyedan (Iowa) Christian Reformed Church celebrates its 100th anniversary this year. The church began in 1913 with six families from Orange City, Iowa, who relocated in Ocheyedan.
Ocheyedan CRC 100th Anniversary
Two world wars and some misunderstandings over the use of the Dutch language in worship services affected the church’s growth. But in 1947 the congregation remodeled its building and started a Christian school.
Today the congregation has 275 members and is led by Bill Van Der Heide, the church’s 15th pastor.
Ocheyedan CRC actively supports United Christians International, an organization dedicated to helping the Haitian people. The congregation sponsors a missionary couple from that organization.
The anniversary celebration will take place on June 23, with the theme taken from Psalm 100:5.
Enjoyed this article?
Don’t miss this week’s must-read articles:
- Book Roundup: Turning the Pages from Harvest’s Bounty to the ‘Hallelujah Chorus’
- Council of Delegates Addresses Finances, Plans for Synod 2022 and More
- Streaming Review: Squid Game
- Faith Matters: What I Learned from Hosting Interfaith Dialogue
- The CRC in Canada: A Field Guide