One hundred years ago on a September afternoon in 1912, a group of deacons in Holland, Mich., used a dilapidated downtown building for a Sunday school that would eventually become Calvary Christian Reformed Church.
Former pastors Keith Doornbos and Jack Roeda.
For many years the outreach ministry, known as the North End Gospel Hall, held periodic evening services led by various ministers from nearby CRCs. Regular worship services began in the 1930s; eventually it was renamed Calvary Chapel. The congregation was formally organized under its current name in 1959 with 34 member families.
The church recently held a celebration of its 100-year history with a special service focusing on God’s faithfulness throughout that history.
The service included words of greeting from former pastors Jack Roeda and Keith Doornbos and a drama depicting Calvary’s history written by senior pastor Frank Wevers.