Wilma Stienstra and Mia Lakmaker were recently reunited after being separated for 63 years.
During World War II when Wilma was a child, her family kept Mia safe from the Nazis for two-and-a-half years during the occupation of the Netherlands.
“You see the emotion,” said Rev. Art Stienstra, Wilma’s husband. “They were these two kids again. That was a beautiful meeting.” The Stienstras are members of Immanuel Christian Reformed Church in Fort Collins, Colo.
Wilma Stienstra, now 76, and Lakmaker, 68, spent a week together. Lakmaker made the trip from Israel with a companion.
Get All the Updates!
Don’t miss this week’s must-read articles:
- The Banner, Breaking Barriers receive Church Press Awards
- Colin Watson: Remembering Who Is In Control
- Online review: 12 Museums to Visit Virtually
- Christian Publishers, Content Providers Offer Free Subscriptions, Tools for Physical Isolation
- Massachusetts Church Hosts Multilingual Worship Fest
- COVID-19: Get updates here
Read entire current print issue »