Wilma Stienstra and Mia Lakmaker were recently reunited after being separated for 63 years.
During World War II when Wilma was a child, her family kept Mia safe from the Nazis for two-and-a-half years during the occupation of the Netherlands.
“You see the emotion,” said Rev. Art Stienstra, Wilma’s husband. “They were these two kids again. That was a beautiful meeting.” The Stienstras are members of Immanuel Christian Reformed Church in Fort Collins, Colo.
Wilma Stienstra, now 76, and Lakmaker, 68, spent a week together. Lakmaker made the trip from Israel with a companion.
Enjoyed this article?
Don’t miss this week’s must-read articles:
- Book Roundup: Turning the Pages from Harvest’s Bounty to the ‘Hallelujah Chorus’
- Council of Delegates Addresses Finances, Plans for Synod 2022 and More
- Streaming Review: Squid Game
- Faith Matters: What I Learned from Hosting Interfaith Dialogue
- The CRC in Canada: A Field Guide