- Series: Seeking Shalom in the Midst of Polarization — In collaboration with The Colossian Forum, this series aims to examine a true state of polarization in the U.S. and Canada and explore Christian strategies to overcome it.
- Series: Past Controversies, Present Insights — We explore past controversies in the Christian Reformed Church that threatened or even led to division and splits within the denomination. How do we view these controversies now? And what can we learn from them?
Politics and Faith Resources
- Visions and Illusions in Political Life: Guidance for Voters, by David T. Koyzis
- Hope for the Politically Homeless series: In 2020, The Banner teamed up with the Center for Public Justice to release a series of articles online exploring the divisiveness of our times. As more and more Christians feel they don't fit in any of the reigning political parties, we explore why that might be and ways to move forward with hope in this series of six articles.
Just for Kids: A Baker's Dozen (print-friendly PDF)
Here are 13 of Joanne De Jonge’s favorite “Just for Kids” articles from The Banner. A free pdf collection of award-winning nature writing that inspires both kids and kids-at-heart to delight in and celebrate God’s amazing creation. (Please note that this collection does not include questions for discussion.)
Abuse of Power Resources
During the past couple of years, and especially since Synod 2018, the issue of abuse of power in the church has been a recurring topic in The Banner. That synod instructed the Council of Delegates (the administrative board of the denomination) “to appoint a small team to . . . address the patterns of abuse of power at all levels of the denomination.” We offer the following list of Banner articles for those who wish to learn more about this issue.
- Big Questions: Relationships: Why does the abuse of power by leaders in our churches and parachurch organizations seem to be more common than it used to be, and how can we best address this problem?
- #MeToo and Becoming a Safer Church
- Abuse of Power
- Continuing the CRC Conversation about Abuse
- At Wheaton Summit, Evangelical Leaders Share Stories of Abuse
- Torn between Love and Abuse
- After Abuse: Community in Sioux Center Begins ‘Healing the Wounded Heart’
- #ChurchToo: Lessons from Willow Creek
- When Christian ‘Celebrities’ Fall
- Synod 2018 Confronts Abuse
- A Safe Place to Share
Presenting free online resources with questions for discussion for
- personal study and reflection
- small group discussion
- adult education church groups
Reformation Themes: Commemorating the 500th Anniversary (print-friendly PDF)
October 2017 marks the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation, an event that changed the course of Western history. This collection includes a series of articles focusing on each of the five solas—Scripture alone, faith alone, Christ alone, grace alone, and glory to God alone—along with a retrospective by Dr. Karin Maag, “The Reformation: What Did We Gain? What Did We Lose?”
- Sola Scriptura
- Sola Fide
- Solo Christo
- Sola Gratia
- Soli Deo Gloria
- The Reformation: What Did We Gain? What Did We Lose?
Reformed Basics (print-friendly PDF)
What does “Reformed” mean anyway? A compilation of previous Banner articles by award-winning writer and former Banner editor Rev. Len Vander Zee on topics including election, the Trinity, original sin, and more.
- The Good News About Election
- Ash Wednesday
- The Holy Trinity: The Community of Love
- Whatever Happened to the Ten Commandments?
- Unoriginal Sin
- Our Lady Too
- Baptizing Babies
Want to be notified when a new study series is available? Sign up for The Banner Update.