Teens from the First Christian Reformed Church in Oskaloosa, Iowa, got a firsthand look at the effects of a tornado when 39 students and their leaders helped clean up tornado damage in Jewell, Kans.
“These people lost everything,” said 18-year-old Danielle DeBruin. “They were just glad to be alive.”
The group spent five days picking up debris from fields and repairing roofs. The group stayed at the Dispatch (Kansas) Christian Reformed Church.
Karl Boender, 19, appreciated the experience. “I learned there are a lot of good people in Kan.,” he said.
Get All the Updates!
Don’t miss this week’s must-read articles:
- The Banner, Breaking Barriers receive Church Press Awards
- Colin Watson: Remembering Who Is In Control
- Online review: 12 Museums to Visit Virtually
- Christian Publishers, Content Providers Offer Free Subscriptions, Tools for Physical Isolation
- Massachusetts Church Hosts Multilingual Worship Fest
- COVID-19: Get updates here