Ten years ago an artist drew a caricature of my two older daughters. Caricatures, by definition, exaggerate certain striking features...
- Speaking truth to power—and to each other.
I believe it was missionary theologian Lesslie Newbigin who said that the incarnation—God coming in the flesh in Jesus—was God’s great missionary act.
Since doing justice involves systemic issues, it often enters the sphere of political laws and policies.
This October marks the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation.
In my previous editorial, I suggested that biblical justice combines both the concepts of retributive justice and social justice.
Happy Independence Day and Happy Canada Day!
“If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.”
I often advise university students to apply Philippians 4:8:
At Easter we celebrate our Lord Jesus Christ’s death and resurrection.
- As I write this, the hearts of many Banner readers are troubled by the political unrest in the United States and the horrific mosque shooting in Canada.
- After grad school, I sent out hundreds of resumes seeking my first full-time employment.
- As a father of three lovely daughters, I have made my fair share of parenting mistakes.
- Years ago, as a campus minister, I took a group of students on a “homeless ministry” nighttime walking tour of downtown Toronto.
- Although I am not fluent in Chinese, I do know the Chinese meaning of my name.
- I was born and raised in Malaysia, though I’m ethnically Chinese.
- Call me Chong. Everyone does. I am honored to be the editor of The Banner, and I will serve as best I can.
- I spent a good part of my week at synod, the general assembly of the Christian Reformed Church. I was gratified with the respectful, civil, and orderly conduct of the delegates’ deliberations on difficult issues
It’s a practice that began in the New Testament Church (Acts 20:7) and continued throughout the early church right up...
We all have scars, from the unstitched nicks of childhood to long gouges left on our chests from bypass surgery...
Someone once described the gospels as the story of Jesus’ death and resurrection with a long introduction. An exaggeration, perhaps,...
It is a business. Nearly all churches today have a CCLI (Christian Copyright Licensing International) or other music license, which...