Our primary loyalty should always be to God, not to any human being, institution, or country—not even to any theological tradition.
인간에게는 다섯 가지 두려움이 있다고 합니다. 이는 제가 10여년 전에 교목이었을 때, 학생 소그룹 모임을 이끌면서 알게 된 것입니다.
The rhetoric of our increasingly politically and religiously polarized world—from all sides—tends to exploit our sin-based fears.
Because of this year’s prayerful synod, I am hopeful for the Christian Reformed Church.
Billy Graham’s example of working across Christian divisions to fulfill God’s mission inspires us to do likewise.
It is time we determine whether our faith is shaping our politics or our politics has been shaping our faith.
The Christian Reformed Church needs an official position on gun culture.
When the Christian Reformed Church purchased The Banner back in 1914, it chose to protect the magazine’s editorial independence . . .
Ten years ago an artist drew a caricature of my two older daughters. Caricatures, by definition, exaggerate certain striking features...
- Speaking truth to power—and to each other.
I believe it was missionary theologian Lesslie Newbigin who said that the incarnation—God coming in the flesh in Jesus—was God’s great missionary act.
Since doing justice involves systemic issues, it often enters the sphere of political laws and policies.
This October marks the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation.
In my previous editorial, I suggested that biblical justice combines both the concepts of retributive justice and social justice.
Happy Independence Day and Happy Canada Day!
“If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.”
I often advise university students to apply Philippians 4:8:
At Easter we celebrate our Lord Jesus Christ’s death and resurrection.
- As I write this, the hearts of many Banner readers are troubled by the political unrest in the United States and the horrific mosque shooting in Canada.
- After grad school, I sent out hundreds of resumes seeking my first full-time employment.
- As a father of three lovely daughters, I have made my fair share of parenting mistakes.
- Years ago, as a campus minister, I took a group of students on a “homeless ministry” nighttime walking tour of downtown Toronto.
- Although I am not fluent in Chinese, I do know the Chinese meaning of my name.
- I was born and raised in Malaysia, though I’m ethnically Chinese.