Early in May, the Board of Trustees of the Christian Reformed Church held its final meeting. On July 1, the group that will act on behalf of synod between its annual meetings will be the Council of Delegates. The Council will consist of 52 members representing every classis (48 regional groups of churches) plus at-large delegates.
At its meeting the board
- recommended to Synod 2017 a ministry shares amount of $339.48 per adult member, the same amount as last year. Ministry shares is the money received from local congregations for shared denominational ministries.
- received and will recommend to Synod 2017 the name for the new mission agency: Resonate Global Mission. The new agency was formed by unifying Christian Reformed Home Missions and Christian Reformed World Missions, a process that will be complete on June 30, 2017.
- elected officers for the transition period until the Council of Delegates holds its first meeting in October: Emmett Harrison, Paul DeVries, Don Draayer, Andy de Ruyter, Mark Volkers, Stan Workman, Cory Sytsema, Beth Fellinger. DeVries will function as interim president.
- requested that Synod 2017 remember, reaffirm, and reinvigorate the denomination’s commitment to a comprehensive and integral response to people who are hungry, poor, or rejected in our world and in our own nations.
- heard that registration for Inspire 2017, a denomination-wide conference to be held in August in Detroit, Mich., is over 400, with much hope for significant increases.