We asked our reviewers to offer the top five titles they enjoyed most in 2017 in a number of categories. Some felt five was too limiting; others had trouble sticking to 2017. All in all, our gracious reviewers offer up some wonderful lists of great books, movies, music, and more for your consideration. You can follow links to either the Banner review where available or more information on the title. Here are the lists:
From Jason Hahn, a corporate communications professional and member of Grace Community Chapel in Teaneck, N.J:
- BoJack Horseman Season 4 (Netflix).
- Better Call Saul Season 3 (AMC).
- Planet Earth II (BBC/Netflix).
- Master of None Season 2 (Netflix).
- Black Mirror Season 4 (BBC/ Netflix).
From Kristy Quist of Grand Rapids, Mich., Mixed Media Editor for The Banner:
- The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu). Margaret Atwood’s dystopian novel comes to life on screen, and it feels as timely as ever.
- This Is Us Season 2 (NBC). Sentimental? Yes. Contrived? Sometimes. Yet the compassion at the heart of the show—for each its characters, and for all people—brings me back every time. And Sterling K. Brown's performance makes every minute worthwhile.
- Better Call Saul Season 3 (AMC). Bob Odenkirk still shines in this follow-up show to Breaking Bad. Better Call Saul has the same great writing, characters, and deep dives into the motivations of the human heart.
- Mudbound (Netflix). A compelling story of two men who come back from the same war but are treated very differently based on the color of their skin.
- Broadchurch Series 3 (ITV/Netflix). The rape of a middle-aged woman in Broadchurch leads to a search for the rapist, an exploration of sexual culture, and a battle for the soul of a town.