R.A. Dickey’s Wherever I Wind Up: My Quest for Truth, Authenticity and the Perfect Knuckleball is an inspirational story of faith in God and perseverance. Dickey is brutally honest as he chronicles his challenges as a youth, adult, and professional baseball pitcher. Dickey delves in detail into growing up in a divorced family as a victim of sexual abuse. And his baseball life is anything but perfect. When X-rays reveal that his right elbow is missing an ulnar collateral ligament, the Texas Rangers pull a sizeable signing bonus. Dickey continues moving forward but later turns to a specialty pitch—the knuckleball—that saves his baseball career. Off the field, he opens up to himself, God, and others about his insecurities. You’ll want to stand up and cheer for Dickey, page after page. (Blue Rider Press)
Enjoyed this article?
Don’t miss this week’s must-read articles:
- Book Roundup: Turning the Pages from Harvest’s Bounty to the ‘Hallelujah Chorus’
- Council of Delegates Addresses Finances, Plans for Synod 2022 and More
- Streaming Review: Squid Game
- Faith Matters: What I Learned from Hosting Interfaith Dialogue
- The CRC in Canada: A Field Guide