Members and friends of First Christian Reformed Church of Sheboygan, Wisc., recently celebrated the church’s 125th anniversary through songs of praise, an organ concert, and a fellowship meal.
“From Him, Through Him, to Him . . . to God Be the Glory!” based on Romans 11:33-36, was the theme of the entire weekend. Pastor Larry Meyer, current pastor of First CRC, said, “With deep gratitude to God, we stand on the shoulders of those who have gone before us. . . . In faith they began new and creative ministries to meet the needs of our community.”
First CRC began on April 22, 1889, when several interested families met with representatives of Oostburg (Wisc.) CRC. After meeting in homes the first year, they dedicated a church a year later. The church moved to another building in 1905 and to their current location in 1927.
In 1936 the church began an afternoon radio broadcast called “Old Time Religion” featuring musicians and a soloist from First CRC along with the pastor’s messages. Seventy years later, in 2006, the church discontinued the broadcast and in its place supported Back to God Ministries International, the multimedia ministry of the Christian Reformed Church.
First CRC birthed a daughter church, Calvin CRC, in 1958.
Three local praise bands kicked off the celebration weekend with a night of praise. The following evening, attendants enjoyed an organ and hymn festival featuring organist Nathan LeMahieu. LeMahieu grew up in Sheboygan attending Calvin CRC.
Former pastors participated in the Sunday celebration service, with music led by both the church choir and praise team. The weekend celebration concluded with a fellowship meal.