The 50th anniversary of the purchase of the Knollcrest Campus as home for Calvin College and Calvin Theological Seminary was celebrated by Synod 2006 delegates with a picnic on the campus lawn of DeWit Manor.
Synod 1956 approved the purchase of 166 acres for $400,000. Since then, the college has doubled its acreage.
In honor of the occasion, a tree planting ceremony was held. Among the dignitaries presiding were (l-r) Calvin College president Galen Byker, seminary president Rev. Cornelius Plantinga Jr., and Calvin College president emeritus William Spoelhof, who was president when the land was purchased and developed. Also present were John Fyfe, son of the building architect for the Knollcrest Campus, and his wife, Linda Mansfield.
About the Author
Bob De Moor is a retired Christian Reformed pastor living in Edmonton, Alta.