Brothers Jared, Jordan, Eric, and Marc Staal, all members of First Christian Reformed Church in Thunder Bay, Ontario, recently donated an outdoor hockey rink to their alma mater, Thunder Bay Christian School.
They also all happen to be hockey stars. Eric, Marc, and Jordan play in the National Hockey League, while Jared, the youngest, plays in the Ontario Hockey League. Both Eric and Jordan have both won Stanley Cup Championships.
“It was a different way to give back to the school,” said Eric. “[I hear] the rink looks great. The kids love it—that’s the main thing.”
The school and the church were important foundations for the Staal brothers.
“We learned a ton growing up going to Christian school and First CRC,” Eric said. “We became close to God being in those places.”
The brothers still live in the Thunder Bay area during the off season. “We are all very close,” Eric said. “We train together every day in the summer.”
The new $40,000 rink was unveiled in January.
Enjoyed this article?
Don’t miss this week’s must-read articles:
- Book Roundup: Turning the Pages from Harvest’s Bounty to the ‘Hallelujah Chorus’
- Council of Delegates Addresses Finances, Plans for Synod 2022 and More
- Streaming Review: Squid Game
- Faith Matters: What I Learned from Hosting Interfaith Dialogue
- The CRC in Canada: A Field Guide