Austin French’s single “Freedom Hymn” made a splash when it hit number 8 on Billboard Hot Christian Songs and caused eager anticipation for his debut album Wide Open. The 24-year-old from Georgia did not disappoint.
French’s lyrics are honest, vulnerable, and relatable. The touching song “Why God” is a tribute to the Santa Fe, Texas, school shooting victims and asks questions about death and other difficult life events.
The chorus of the beautiful ballad “I Need a Hallelujah” cries out “I need to lift my hands/To where my help comes from/Hear my heart sing again/I need a hallelujah/Hallelujah, hallelujah.” French’s voice is inviting, and the music is a careful balance of energy and solemnity. Wide Open is full of promise for his Christian music career. (Fair Trade)
Get All the Updates!
Don’t miss this week’s must-read articles:
- The Banner, Breaking Barriers receive Church Press Awards
- Colin Watson: Remembering Who Is In Control
- Online review: 12 Museums to Visit Virtually
- Christian Publishers, Content Providers Offer Free Subscriptions, Tools for Physical Isolation
- Massachusetts Church Hosts Multilingual Worship Fest
- COVID-19: Get updates here